Discuss the development of FANTASIA games here!

HomeRegisterLog in
Re:Set is now released~

Share | 

Many thanks and musings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
guesting

PostSubject: Many thanks and musings   Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:06 am

Hi,

I'd just like to say thank you Azure for your wonderful games.

This series of visual novels is my favorite and I dare say the most impressive that I have seen from the ren'py archive (especially since you yourself crafted all those lovely characters both in writing and art).

On that note though, ironically, I somewhat regret playing the MOGF demo for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I really need a time machine to fast forward to the final release of the game as I simply can't wait any longer. The demo blew me away.

Secondly, while I truly love your art, I prefer the old sprites -at least for my favorite characters i.e. Shea, Alviss, Ignitio, Zephyr.

As a result I was guttered to see they are getting a facelift...

So I thought, wouldn't it be great if you could stick a option in the beginning (like Moonlight Walks) where you can choose to play with the old sprites.

It would also mean you don't have to discard all your old assets.

Anyway thanks again, I sincerely look forward to enjoying the end result whenever it is finished. Wink
Back to top Go down
moonpalace
Newborn user
Newborn user

PostSubject: Re: Many thanks and musings   Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:55 am

Hi,

It's me from above again.

I forgot to mention this little bug which is possibly irrelevant but nevertheless....

I took the following choices (Answered all the right questions in the first test and chose "It's better than in the town") and something a bit wierd happened in the ensuing practice fight with Alviss.

When Alviss attacked (either snail with sword) as the first action, the enemy hp went up by 2 points so that it read 202/200.

It didn't happen if I failed the entrance test.
Back to top Go down
Ms.Guest

PostSubject: Re: Many thanks and musings   Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:38 pm

I agree, I liked the old sprites better, it just seems like theres too much shadows on the new ones, and they lost their natural feel : x erm thats my opinion anyway

The codingit must take to actually have the choice between playing with new and old spites.. ehhhm.. I don't think Azure has the patience for that xD since shes working on three games at once and such. It is a shame though, the majority seems to prefer older sprites. Ah well. At least one or two have improved (imo)
Back to top Go down
moonpalace
Newborn user
Newborn user

PostSubject: Re: Many thanks and musings   Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 am

Yeah it's a pity but then again I realise how naive I must be. I just thought it would be a simple matter of sticking a bit of code at the beginning or something like, "If (defult) x option is enabled, use x sprite set. If y option is enabled, etc." or the appropriate tweaks here and there.

And of course the amount of detail in the new sprites is impressive but the shadows get me too. I think when you say they lose the "natural feel" it's because there might be an over-enthusiastic photoshop treatment in the colouring when really "more is less". Also the way I think everyone looks so much more masculine and aggressive turns me off. - Don't get me wrong though, Forte definitely appears to have benefited from the makeover, but I never liked him anyway.

Shea's original design, though perhaps one of the simplest/flatest, gave me an impression that he had really matured; there was a sense that he was calmer and more humanitarian. The writing conveyed this perfectly with the art and I felt that way about him long before the last scene where he confirmed it with his story. Now he looks like one of the regular bad boyz, a type which I dislike.

Alviss appealed to me because I like the sensitive/intelligent guys (in case you didn't realise) but now it appears as if his self depreciating nature is a bit over the top.

I believe Ignitio seems to have retained the most charm, though I still prefer his shota form. *sigh* Ah well, Fir had better watch out since I may have to woo him sooner than nature intended...
Back to top Go down
Ms.Guest

PostSubject: Re: Many thanks and musings   Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:33 am

Yeah, I really grew to like the old sprites. I guess it isn't doing anyone any favors by reminding ourselves of that though. xD you were right about it too, I couldn't explain it well myself. The sprites seem so much more... "in yor face" than before Mad kind of an unatural feel that way. Anyway~ maybe I'll grow to like the new ones by the time the game is released~ till then, time to push it back to the depths of my mind~ <3
Back to top Go down
LumenAstrum
Creepy Monochrome Baku

PostSubject: Re: Many thanks and musings   Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:39 pm

@guesting : I read your post, just giving in my two cents.
If that will be done, I'm sure it'll take up a lot more code, and it's pretty possible that the code'll be doubled or maybe will be a lot more many.
And judging from the length of the game, Azure once mentioned that she was, "almost halfway with Zephyr's path, and the word count is halfway of RoA."
And I think you won't want the game to download after 5 hours? Razz

But I kinda sympathize with you. I also didn'tlike some of the new sprites much, but hey, there's a little improvement at the very least. ^_^

my deviantART | my tumblrblog
Back to top Go down
http://lumenastrum.deviantart.com
azureXtwilight
Epitome of Trollness
Epitome of Trollness

PostSubject: Re: Many thanks and musings   Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:26 pm

Thanks everyone!

*I might redo them again because I'm a heck of perfectionist yousee*

Rafael: Psst! Down here! Just tell her: "you have beautiful eyes".
Blu: That's good! Great idea!
Blu: I have beautiful eyes.
Jewel : Uhhh, okay?
Back to top Go down
http://fantasiagames.bestfreeforum.us
moonpalace
Newborn user
Newborn user

PostSubject: Re: Many thanks and musings   Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:04 pm

Oh hey guys!

Sorry I didn't see your replies I haven't checked back here for awhile.

Lumen, double the code!? Please forgive my naivety. Programming magics are beyond me.

Azure, I really have the utmost respect for you and your work. If you redid the sprites again I'd be totally amazed. What energy and creativity! I just hope you take my criticism with a dash of salt.

Besides, for the record, you already created my dream boyfriend in ROTA. Raven pwns everyone. Period. Wink
Back to top Go down
azureXtwilight
Epitome of Trollness
Epitome of Trollness

PostSubject: Re: Many thanks and musings   Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:12 pm

Anyway, that will only done when doppelganger is done. So I hope you all be patient until I finish this XD

Rafael: Psst! Down here! Just tell her: "you have beautiful eyes".
Blu: That's good! Great idea!
Blu: I have beautiful eyes.
Jewel : Uhhh, okay?
Back to top Go down
http://fantasiagames.bestfreeforum.us
moonpalace
Newborn user
Newborn user

PostSubject: Re: Many thanks and musings   Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:28 pm

Of course! Naturally I'm looking forward to Doppel too. ^__^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content